Founded in November 1981, during the term of Mayor Carol Keeton McClellan, Austin Lima Sister Cities was established for the purpose of interchanging cultural, historical and peaceful thoughts, concepts and beliefs.
Our mission is to foster cultural, educational, entrepreneurial and humanitarian exchange between Austin and Lima.
past cultural & humanitarian achievements
- Worked with the Ministry of Public Health of Perú, Austin Smiles, and Seton Hospital Sisters of Charity to help burn victim Beatriz Baylon with reconstructive facial surgery.
- Development of the "Caminar" Project for leadership training to prevent social problems.
- Grassroots agricultural and artisan's projects with the Women's Association for Community Development in Chilca, Lima.
- Patterns of Perú and Texas Art Exhibition, featuring Peruvian and North American painters and sculptors.
- Qhapaq Nan El Gran Camino Inca, an exhibition of photographs.
- Photo exhibit of Peruvian scenes at the Benson Latin American Collection at the University of Texas.
- In cooperation with the Austin Chamber Music Center, three young musicians from the Costa-Ornano Academy in Lima participated in workshops and performed at Bauer House.